Tuesday, March 12, 2002

Among the books from my father-in-law's place, I keep finding treasures. The latest I gave to him myself, for Christmas 2000. I ordered it from amazon while I was still in NYC, and never saw the book until I found it while we were opening crates. There it was, black, cheap, and well-read. Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem is a very different detective story. The hero has Tourette's Syndrome, and soon everything of importance in the book is related to this syndrome. The investigation he performs, to learn about his dead friend and crooked boss, becomes a labyrinth of compulsive actions and repated as well as developing tics. I finished the book this week-end, and because my back hurts and I can't do much, I finished to more books this week-end - but Motherless Brooklyn is the one I remember.

No comments: