Saturday, May 17, 2003

Meeting the immortals
Any old Dragon Realms players out there will understand the little chill running down my back as the phone rang in my hotel room last night, and the voice in the other end says: "Hello, this is Scarabae." Luckily he also introduced himself as Martin, or I would have fled - well, nowhere to fly, is there, when Scarabae calls? All I can hope for is that his hand will be tempered by the influence of Topaz and Elwyn...

The Immortal Trio, the trinity of Dragon Realms, will come in their mortal disguises to pick me up at the hotel in about an hour, 2 pm Melbourne time. And the thrill I feel is entirely human, although there is a definite tickle to the researcher bone. There are so many things I want to ask them. I conducted the research on DR without their input, analysing the game without any comments from the people who implemented and created it. That was a very conscious decision, as I had left World's End because of the methodological problems of having a too involved immortal watching my progress. It was also a practical decision, as all three of them were hard to reach at the time when I played and logged, besides living in Australia which one may note is VERY far from Norway - and so I interviewed the lesser deities.

But I suspect we will be able to pass the afternoon comfortably - we're going to see a center of film and television, possibly see Matrix reloaded and certainly go to have some nice japanese food, all of which were plans that convinced me I will enjoy this meeting. But if you don't hear from me for a while... perhaps some of the lesser deities could be convinced to intervene, and drag me out of what dungeon I am kept in? There has to be a limit, even to fun, after all...

No comments: