Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Game Violence
After reading this, I don't see how anybody can be concerned about computer game players axing orcs. But of course, violence against naked women is just fun, and nothing to be concerned about, I knew that. Most of all, I am amazed by what is considered "true to nature":

Burdick says hunters are told not to shoot the women above the chest, but he admits not all hunters follow the rules. "The main goal is to be as true to nature as possible. I don't go deer hunting and see a deer with a football helmet on so I don't want to see one on my girl either," said Burdick.

Yeah. In a nature where girls run around naked, men go dressed, wear goggles and other protective gear, and shoot with paintball guns. I hope that is the same real world where all men share these fantasies:

Marv Glovinsky is a clinical psychologist. He says Hunting for Bambi is every man's fantasy come true. "You might think of all men as little boys who have never grown up, so they entertain their adolescent fantasies and they go through life being adolescents on the hunt."

And I hope that these guys stays in that same reality, and that it never touches mine:

Burdick says the majority of the men who pay the $5,000 to $10,000 to play the game are the submissive, quiet type. "For the individual who's used to saying 'I can't go out with the boys tonight' or the wimp of America, it's a chance for him to come out and vent his aggression and really take charge and have some fun."

I don't have enough sarcasm in store to really express what I feel about this definition of realism. I think I rather want to meet people who believe there really are elves.

No comments: