Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Big Brass

I just got contacted on AIM by somebody who wanted me to be part of The Big Brass Alliance. That is rather flattering, although I am a little paranoid about people suddenly sending me messages out of the blue. So, rule one if contacting me on AIM, approach like a human being, or I think you are spam and block you immediately.

However, as there was not a word about sex in the messages, I checked out the links he sent me. While I don't think I want to be on the list with the big brass - I am after all not that involved with US politics - I do want to pass these links on to any of my readers who might be.

The Big Brass Alliance is a group of bloggers who support After Downing Street, "a coalition of veterans' groups, peace groups, and political activist groups formed to urge that the U.S. Congress launch a formal investigation into whether President Bush has committed impeachable offenses in connection with the Iraq war."

I was also sent a link to a site describing The Downing Street Memo, which is supposed to contain the minutes from a meeting in 2002, where Tony Blair in a meeting with his ministers agree that the intelligence out of Iraq was fixed. After Downing Street want to see more discussion of this news in US media, and hope that by planting it in blogs, they will.

This is interesting at several levels. First, I find it interesting that this piece of news is not being discussed in US media. I am however not entirely shocked, after the President's comments about Amnesty International's report about Human Rights in the USA. BitchPhD as usual says what they (Pseudonymous Rocket Scientist in this case) mean about this much more informed than I can.

Second: that when somebody wants to plant a piece of news in the media, they turn to viral marketing, plant it in blogs, and the blogs will spread the word. And it works. I am writing about it.

So, while I don't think I am Big Brass, I am going to watch this. I hope it will be good.

No comments: