Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Reading
When I am not refreshing my knowledge of public relations theory, I am going in directions that surprise even me. Next to the stacks of required reading I have Flow; the classic work on how to achieve happiness by Mihaly Csikszentmyhalyi and Black Sun by Julia Kristeva, a work on depression and melancholia. By coincidence more than strategic choices, I am reading about creativity and artistic expression from two entirely - not to say opposing - positions. Csikszentmihalyi describes flow as a sensation filled with a state of joy and creativity, while Kristeva explains creativity through loss, grief and melancholia. The challenge now is to figure out if they have anything in common at all, apart from their presence, by random accumulation, on the same desk.

No comments: