Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Norwegian in New York

Sadly, the rhythm doesn't fit Sting's lyrics, but when ever I think of going back to New York, the song pops up at the back of my mind. This time more so than ever, as I will be there for International Communication Association (ICA)'s 2005 conference may 26th - 30th.

ICA is a foreign organisation to me, it keeps its conferences within North America for three out of four years, and the conference programs and history do not tell anything about where the conferences are the fourth year. So I can't tell if outside North America means in Canada and Mexico, or if the conference leaves the continent. But I have known of it for a long time, and am curious about it. I also have not been in any of the more classic media scholar conferences for years, as my scope has narrowed to games and digital media, and so I am quite exited about dipping back into what I consider my scholarly roots.

But after years of digital media pursuits, I suspect that the feeling will be slightly Sting-ish: A visit to a country where the language is familiar and still slightly different: different focus, different values, different style.
I don’t take coffee I take tea my dear
I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
I’m an englishman in new york

2 comments:

Alex Halavais said...

Hey, if you are going to be there, I have to go. ICA used to be more often international. I think the pattern was US, North America (Canada/Mexico), other continent. But the last three in a row have been in the US (San Diego, New Orleans, and now in New York). Rumor has it that next year's is planned for a city that is a much shorter flight for you.

Torill said...

Oh, I am so going to want company there. I am mainly going because of the topic, dialogue, and I was quite apprehensive about perhaps being a total stranger. I want company!