Sunday, August 14, 2005

Stolen computer

I am a computer and a camera short today, but have a bike too much.

Somebody left a bike by the garage, went into the garden at the back, climbed in the window in a bedroom, went into the downstairs livingroom, stole my lap-top and digital camera, and left through the living-room window. It happened between 2 and 4 am tonight.

The lap-top was a tundra, bought this winter, the camera a sony cybershot, a gift from a close friend. Both were full of material that is irreplacable, if not of life-and-death importance, and extremely important for my work.

There was no force used, the thefth was most of all marked by coincidence. I hardly ever use the lap-top downstairs, but I did last night. I also left the camera next to it, planning to work more this morning.

I am, of course, distraught. I have called the police, they will show up and fetch the bike. The chance of getting the computer back is small. I don't expect ever to see the camera again. But the computer is of an unusual brand. If somebody tries to sell a tundra in the area around Volda, or suddenly have one, if they have no papers, let the police know about it. There are not that many of them about, I'd think.

It is rather ironic, I have carried the computer with me all over Europe and the US, same with the camera, and it gets stolen in the downstairs living room. Time to become paranoid also when home, I guess.

9 comments:

Jill said...

Oh how horrible! And in safe little Volda, too :( Fingers crossed they turn up, and best of luck in surviving without them...

Torill said...

It is rather staggering. I was all flustered at first. Now I am more resigned. And we keep finding more that is missing, now Hauk's cellphone is among the missing items. Nokia 2650, brown: http://www.nokia.no/phones/2650/

The police just came by, a nice officer, to pick up the surplus bike and see if he could find any clues to how they got in or where they went.

Torill said...

Update: the police has caught a guy who was running around in the gardens in the neighbourhood. He had stolen a cabin cruiser and came to Volda that way. They are not yet sure if he is the one, and where the loot may be, but he was stole an other bike from our front porch and tried to escape on it, but they caught him. Lots of exitement!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness! They might catch him and even get your stuff back! That'd be AMAZING! Do keep us updated!

Patt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Too bad! When somebody steals something from you, they not only steal an object, but also a sense of security and peace. I hope you get your stuff back, but more importantly the feeling of safety and security in your house. Best wishes!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Torill said...

Thank you all for cursing the guy and supporting me. I haven't talked with the police yet, but I am optimistic right now.

On another issue. I am going to delete three comments which I consider spam here. To tell me I have a nice blog in order to promote yours is not really what I consider feedback or conversation. If this becomes a trend at blogger, I will turn the comments back off.

Torill said...

Patt at http://pattoons.blogspot.com/
I removed the wrong post, sorry about that:

patt said...
hope the guy who stole your gear.suffers from this day a constipation from hell.fill the insurance form in and start again mate.
patt

I will :)