Wednesday, March 19, 2003

I am aware
that there is a war, although the first battles have not been fought yet. I don't think there will be much about it in this blog though, mainly because I don't know how to deal with it. It's such a horror - while I have always had the standard academic distrust of America and the cultural arrogance of that huge, rich nation, I have never imagined - even after the many other wars USA has been involved in - that they would declare war on a smaller nation without the support of UN. Perhaps I have been naive. Perhaps I believed too firmly in the values of democracy, freedom and peace that the US has preached, despite the many proofs against it. The result is that now I am numb and unable to deal with the loss of those many lives, the potential pain, the lurking horror. I am aware that it's not here, Norway is far, far away in a corner of the world, but I still somehow feel personally violated. I think what has been violated is my trust, my faith in the world order, as the fragility of the terror balance becomes apparent.

No comments: