Friday, March 23, 2007

Nordic Media Days

Bergen hosts a very nice and interesting event, an annual series of lectures and presentations which manages to mix the media professions and the media scholars in a very interesting exploration of the field. It's fairly well established, I remember being offered a job as a coordinator way back when I was finishing my masters. It's one of those jobs I regret I never took - instead I finished my University degree. Oh well.

Anyway. This year I will be in Bergen the day before it starts, talking about weblogs at the Bergent Student Union. I am quite exited about that, as the students have managed to find an interesting person for me to meet: VamPus, the Norwegian blogger who dropped her anonymity when she got into a conflict with her then-blog-client-owner (bah, bad word) over the infamous Mohammed caricatures.

So, I tried to figure out what's going on with the media days on the 9th. I check program. Nothing. I check if i can get a day pass, because the prices are stiff and I can't just shake down the department for any whim I want to have satisfied - nope, it's the whole thing or nothing.

There are some lectures there which are worth catching if I can. Arnt Maasø talks about new sound conventions in the age of YouTube. I'd really like to catch that one. Irshad Manji talks about Jihad: holy media strategies, defiitely a hot issue, particularly with the little reminder of the Mohammed Caricatures in the back of my head.

Oh well - I'll gamble that it's possible to buy a day pass at the door - or something. If not I'll look up some friends and hang out in a coffee shop in the area and look intellectually arrogant and talk about how utterly bored I'd be if I had to attend the Nordic Media Days...

2 comments:

Løwe said...

Big question: do you actually teach your students at Volda about blogging? The reason I ask is that we've been having this big discussion about the conservatism of journalism students (when it comes to working online) and the hopless backwardsness of journalims education in my 'niche' of media bloggers (mostly UK). Besides, Norwegian media is so far behind when it comes to using blogging effectively and lack even the most rudimentary understanding of it, something my experience live blogging the Editor's Association's annual conference only confirmed - though it might have changed a few attitudes...

Torill said...

I teach my students about blogging, and also about many other of the different interfaces for personal publishing. However, "my" students are not the journalist students. I mostly teach at the public information education.

I find the journalist education in Volda very conservative when it comes to new media, even if they are better than many other similar educations. I should perhaps have challenged the rest of the staff more and taken more responsibility for developing that part of the media education at our deparment, but so far I have not had the resources.