Monday, July 02, 2007

PDF n00b

I just received the page proofs for an article I wrote ages ago. Apart from considerable frustration with the proofreader's automated requests - I am sorry, but if a journal doesn't have a volume number, I can't supply it!!! - You want me to write (sic!) behind something? Behind a lowercase letter? which one? Why? Where? That sentence has lowercase letters all over it!!! - they have asked me to make correction directly into the page proofs. At least that is how I understand this sentence:
When you review your proofs please read them carefully, being sure to respond to all copy editor queries, and make all corrections (including those resulting from copy editor queries) on the page proofs. The final responsibility for correcting typographical errors in proofs is yours.

I have no idea how to edit PDFs. I now understand that this can be done with the touchup text tool. The problem is that when I try that, they ask for the font. And 1) I obviously don't have it installed and 2) I have no idea what font it is, so I don't know where to get it.

As far as I am concerned, the publishers are asking me to supply information that doesn't exist, insert comments which don't make sense, and make the changes in a way which can't be done. If anybody know of a secret trick, please, please share it.

2 comments:

Alex Halavais said...

Print it, mark it up with a pen, scan it as an image pdf and return it. Yes, seriously.

In the same situation, I've also just emailed the changes: e.g. "p.5, second paragraph, delete sentence beginning 'A large dog...' and replace with: 'Something is new.'"

Torill said...

That's not a bad plan. Now I have managed to get hold of the editor, who promised to fix it if he just got the changes and comments. He also told me to not worry too much about the deadline, they were very late, and couldn't make it up by pushing me around. So I am correcting a word file made from the PDF, and trusting the editor to make sure the final copy looks right.

I am going to keep your plan of printing, changing with a pen, and scanning for later. Typography can sometimes be a surprisingly old fashioned practice. The paper metaphor is very strong.