Thursday, September 20, 2001

Do I have this wet dream of getting the last word? Ohhh yesss....

Mark does too, I suspect, even if he can't spell my first name. And the argument isn't really between me and him, what I am doing here is what Jill and Hilde will tell me is a very masculine thing, I'll grab the opportunity to say: "I want to point out that I agree with the last speaker."

I just want to mention that there's this about academia which always surprises me; it seems so much more important to say: "you are wrong because you didn't study this", than to say: "Now that's interesting, but studying this might change that point."

As Mark finishes his post yesterday:
Don't get me wrong. Torril is right. So is Markku, for that matter. And so is Justin. This is the site of scholarly discourse nowadays, at least in this field, and we are changing it from within.

The wonderful thing about academic discourse is that we can all be right, and we can all disagree. Now, step 2: How to accept that disagreement doesn't diminish the value of other people's work.

Where can I sign up for that class?

No comments: