Thursday, January 13, 2005

Feedburner developing

Due to many little pokes over a long time, I installed RSS feeds for this blog this autumn. I turned on the blogger atom feed, and also started using feedburner, to make sure I would cover the necessary readers. Feedburner has a few features which I enjoy, one of those being that it shows how many people access the blog through the feedburner feeds each given day.

I still don't have a hit-counter, so this is the only indication I have (except from the occasional comment and link) that people actually read my blog. But at the same time, since it's a limited group who use feedburner, I get a very limited readership. I have between 15 and 25 readers, more Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, less in the rest of the week and the week-ends. This is a perfect number. It's enough that it explains why, when I go to conferences, there's always somebody who says: Oh, but I read your blog! At the same time it is so small it is not intimidating. And with a little bit of not-using-my-knowledge-of-statistical-errors, I can imagine that this pretty diagram, a recent feedburner feature, represents those 2-3 people I meet out there, and a few friends and students.

The diagram is fairly new, and it keeps becoming increasingly complex. The "others" section has split into several smaller slices, and today NewsNetWire is much larger than Bloglines. It only takes a couple of readers to tip that though, as you can see. While the diagram in itself isn't all that fascinating, what hooks me is that I get to see the work of the developers of feedburner as it develops. First no diagram, then a simple one, now a complex one - somebody are working out there. I love it.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Ooh, I've never looked at my feedburner stats! I hadn't realised they were there! What fun!

*goes to investigate*

Torill said...

Ow! Lazy me for not making copies of the web version of all I have written! I have to get on with that as soon as possible.

I wrote Dictung Digital to ask if I can have a copy of the published version, as I need it myself for documentation purposes. Until then I'll send you my most recent copy. And for my email you need to find me at the college - don't you read Norwegian? :)

JR said...

Mmm...I read your blog, but you're unlikely to run into me at a conference (I work in architecture). I can't remember how I originally found you, possibly through nettdagbok.com. I don't use RSS feeds, I just type your URL into my browser and go. So, I guess you can't keep track of me, but you can rest assured that a day seldom passes that I don't check in with your writing.

I wish I had your new boots, it is raining so hard.

Cayzle said...

Well, I suspect that there are more people than you might think lurking and enjoying, but seldom commenting. I went a-looking for meaty game blogs a few months ago and found you; now I stop by almost daily. In fact, I just linked to you from my own blog:

http://www.geocities.com/cayzle

Torill said...

Careful, careful, don't tell me too much about my many readers, or I will freak out! But some of those bloglines readers are also registered by feedburner, so that means I can subtract a good chunk...

Nah, really, I like readers, I just don't want to think too much about numbers.

And S - I am SO happy about my boots! Useful, comfortable and attention-grabbing. Although I did get to hear some - umm - different - fantasies after they had been voted most remarkable item of the day at the department. If the weather keeps up I will have to get a matching shiny raincoat and hat. Before I know it I will have developed a rubber fetish, and can never leave the west coast again.

Torill said...

Thanks for letting me know about your blog, Suzos. I'll go peek :)