Sunday, January 16, 2005

January breakfast

Sunday started late, so I took the time to make something different for breakfast. And it was quicker, really, than the waffles I normally stand around baking when I want to give the family a treat. I made these muffins with chopped dried apricot, which 75% of the family likes. The remaining 25% declared that "this stuff in the muffins just isn't me" and picked the pieces out before demolishing the crumbs. I adjusted the original recipe to fit my diet and what was in my cabinet, and this result was quite nicely edible:

January apricot muffins
2 1/4 cups mixed spelt flour, fine and whole grain
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar substitute (something where the substitution rate is 1:1)
3 eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sunflower seed oil
1 pinch seasalt
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup ground almonds

Mix all dry ingredients. Add milk, eggs, oil. Mix. Fill muffin
cups, greased or papered. Bake for about 17 minutes, or until browned,
in a 375 degree oven.

I got enough batter for 12 fairly large paper muffin cups. The muffins really stuck to the cups while warm - somewhat easier to get them out when cold. And they had to bake for longer than 17 minutes.

Then I ate them with cream cheese and tea, and had enough energy to get off my ass and out for a walk.

No comments: